SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Environmental Health &Safety Specialist will provide critical support to the manufacturing plant and the Plant Leader. Ensures the compliance with safety and environmental program requirements and creates an EHS culture that leads to zero harm to our employees and the environment. This position is the EHS functional expert for the facility and will work with and through the plant management team to implement environmental, health, and safety requirements and that they are met through ownership and accountability by all employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Verifies compliance with EHS regulations through inspection and evaluation of the environment, equipment and processes in work areas to ensure compliance EHS regulations and industry standards.
- Manages and implements cost effective programs, acts as the EHS technical resource and change agent for the facility.
- Provide expert technical support in identifying and resolving critical safety regulatory issues.
- Makes recommendations for changes to protect and educate employees regarding prevention of health problems through the use of training programs.
- Leads site management team in the performance of thorough and objective accident investigations for all accidents and near miss occurrences, analyze injury trends, and coordinate corrective actions. Document investigations and corrective actions through completion
- Ensure proper investigation, root cause analysis, communication and aggressive action planning and execution to prevent future repeat incidents across the company
- Maintain a presence on the plant floor to fully engage employees, contractor and vendors to provide a sound environmental management process, expectations and requirements.
- Actively participates in the plants efforts to engage the entire workforce to build a strong EHS culture.
- Oversee safety policies, systems, and processes to ensure provincial, federal and company compliance.
- Develop/ manage all training documents and promote safety education for all employees.
- Coordinate EHS information between all locations and departments.
- Coordinate all EHS activities including facility inspections and distribution of safety materials.
- Maintain site OSHA 300 log and associated reporting to governmental agencies.
- Maintain all safety, training, and accident records.
- Periodically review safety rules and standards with employees to confirm that the company is meeting its goals and objectives.
- Review with managers and supervisors how to handle emergency procedures in their areas of work and responsibility.
- Confirm that all required signage is posted and maintained in clear and legible condition.
- Confirm the company is compliant with all federal, state and local regulations via inspections and audits.
- Manages the participation in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Ensure compliance with external organizations such as ISO requirements.
- Provides regular reports to management regarding areas of EHS.
- Chair the safety committee and support safety focus groups.
- Assists Plant management team in the implementation of programs such as housekeeping, ISRS, demarcation etc..
- Ensure applicable corporate and site-specific EHS programs are effectively implemented in a timely manner.
- Coordinate all safety audits, job hazard analyses, and EHS assessments.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining all standard work and training documents for hourly positions.
- Responsible for working with Production Manager and Supervisors to assign coach to train new employees or employees moving into a new classification.
- Responsible for evaluation and signoff of all hourly training verification documents.
- Manage site Sustainability program
- Coordinate applicable environmental activities at the facility.
- Support and coordinate Corporate EHS programs and initiatives.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Assists in new hire orientation and safety training to ensure that new employees have all the knowledge necessary to perform the job safely.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years EHS experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment
- Extensive knowledge of environmental and safety laws and requirements
- Bachelor degree preferred- Safety or Environmental discipline, engineering, business management, or related discipline
- Relevant EHS certifications/training
- ISRS -International Sustainability Rating System experience preferred
- Computer proficiency required - Microsoft Office
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- OSHA, EPA knowledge and experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills at all levels of organization
- Experience with creating and communicating EHS materials and training
- Proven self-starter with ability to lead
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients & customers
- Office and manufacturing floor environments