Design Fabrication Metal Shop Supervisor
Lead in executing the business plan for the respective Design Fabrication Shop projects. Proactively pursue the vision established for the area and foster an atmosphere of teamwork and cooperation. Have supervisory responsibility for a medium to large group of employees involved in the fabrication of Metal/Fiberglass projects. Work is of a technical nature using independent judgment within the limits of general practices and standards in engineering builds. Some creativity problem solving initiative is required. Lead the Team using General Motors Manufacturing processes.
- Supervise UAW Skilled Trades Personnel in the construction of Concept/Marketing Properties
- Provide a leadership role in the implementation of major department initiatives
- Maintain awareness of quality standards, communicate department quality goals and leverage resources to solve quality problems
- Drive first time quality in the build of models and using problem solving tools to promote GMS principles.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with employees, union and management
- Understand and consistently administer the GM/UAW National and Local UAW Agreements
- Promote safe work practices and achieve objectives for ergonomics, health and safety and housekeeping.
- Write incident investigation reports that promote safe practices in the shop.
- Write Safe Operating Procedures, Task Instruction Sheets for metal model trades.
- Motivate, train and develop employees to effectively perform their jobs utilizing standardized methods. This includes using Flex Charts that match job requirements with the employee’s skills.
- Assist in the training and development of salaried and hourly employees
- Utilize Labor Relations in accordance with Corporate Policies and Procedures and Government Regulations
- Communicate between shifts, departmental areas and other departments to implement best practices, resolve problems and sustain consistent performance to objectives
- Control costs and achieve productivity improvements
- Provide input to payroll for both Salary and Hourly payroll systems. Track job products using a tracking system TMac.
- Knowledge of specialty/concept vehicle construction – raw material to finished product
- Work with the Team to solve problems using problem solving system.
- Interpret and analyze work orders, drawings, and parts list
- Monitor quality control and build schedule
- Working knowledge of GMS (Global Manufacturing System)
- Safety Incident report investigations – Lead and facilitate
- Meet all timing, quality and cost requirements
- Interpret verbal design direction and generate new ideas for engineers.
- Bench Engineer where appropriate
- Have strong leadership skills and ability to stand alone on projects.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Demonstrate high level of interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and facilitate others in group situations. Proficiency in team building and ability to create an environment that allows for measured risk taking
- Demonstrate ability to effectively organize and plan major projects. Document all changes and hours needed to complete the build on a project.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Analytical ability to solve complex problems
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of the total fabrication processes, including work process flow, plan and workstation layout and tooling, as it relates to area of responsibility
- Demonstrate knowledge of skilled trades work within area of responsibility
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of tools, materials, equipment and processes for respective area of responsibility
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools
Education and Training
- College degree or equivalent training
- Journeyperson model maker or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in a supervisory/leadership capacity
- Ability to work all three shifts 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Will be required to work 2nd shift for 2-3 years.
- Flexible in adjusting hours.
- Ability to work extended hours when required and work through U.S. Holidays.
- Experience in Specialty, Hand Built, Running vehicles.